Success in 60 Seconds: Developing Habits
by the Marketing Department at Laurus College
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
“Success in 60 Seconds” is a weekly blog meant to be read in 60 seconds or less that’s dedicated to helping college students and recent graduates achieve success in their careers.
Most individuals don’t purposefully develop habits. Instead, they usually let them ‘happen’ over time (like brushing their teeth or fastening their seat belts). There’s nothing wrong with this, but in order to achieve our career and/or educational goals, we must learn how to intentionally create positive habits that will help us move toward success.
Here is a 5-step method for developing new, success-oriented habits:
1. Make a List. Write down 5-10 habits that you believe will help you become more successful at school, your job search, or in your career. Then, choose one (and only one) to concentrate on.
2. Choose a Time & Place. Carve out a specific time of day that you can dedicate to developing your new habit. It’s also important to identify a place where you can develop your new habit without a lot of distractions. Keep in mind, you might have to choose different locations depending on if it’s a weekday or the weekend.
3. Tell Others What You’re Doing. Once you’re on your way to developing your new habit, start sharing what you’re doing with others and mentally prepare yourself for a few ‘naysayers’. Not everyone you tell will be supportive; however, overcoming their negativity will actually help you in the habit-developing process.
4. Do it for 90 Days. While there are a lot of different theories among human behavior experts as to how long it takes to truly develop a habit, a good starting point is 90 days. This will not only give you enough time to develop momentum, but it will also give you the opportunity to overcome some obstacles along the way (another important piece to the habit-developing process).
5. Be Realistic. Choose a new habit that you can adapt to your current lifestyle. You can always accelerate it later, but it’s more important to develop consistency at the beginning than to focus on how much you can accomplish.
At Laurus College, we’re committed to helping our students and graduates succeed. Follow this 5-step method for developing new, success-oriented habits, and you’ll take yourself one step closer to your goals.
Leo Craven is the VP of Strategic Planning & Marketing for Laurus College. You can reach him through email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call [phone-link location=””].
Get the Skills for the Rewarding Career You Want
Is a fulfilling career and a brighter future right for you? Get more info...