by the Career Services Department
At Laurus College, students are assigned only one class per five-week term, giving them the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the course material. While this learning approach helps students to stay focused and engaged, developing good study skills is another critical piece to succeeding in your program.
Here are a few tips to help you when it comes to studying:
1) Manage your Time Well
We know you have a VERY busy life! Managing school, work, and your personal life can be overwhelming so make sure to give yourself plenty of time to accomplish your tasks. Use a planner (or the calendar on your smart phone) to keep track of your daily / weekly schedule, and make sure to set aside time for your schoolwork.
2) Mentally & Physically Prepare:
• Find a great place to study; make sure it’s quiet, well lit, and that you have plenty of space.
• Before you begin, make sure to have all of the materials you’ll need for your study session ready to go (books, notes, paper, pens, computer, etc.).
• Clear your mind. Silence your cell phone, turn off the TV, and turn down the music. Avoid unnecessary distractions as much as possible.
• In order to avoid feeling worn down get plenty of sleep, take breaks often, and remember to eat healthy meals and snacks.
• Above all, start your study time with a POSITIVE attitude! That can make all the difference!
3) Take Good Notes in Class
Actively listen during class time by participating and asking clarifying questions. Outline the lecture as you go and review your notes after class. Your notes can be a great tool in helping you remember the material. Highlight the important parts to catch your eye while studying.
4) Use Study Tools
The following tools and methods can help you retain the information you’ll need for an exam:
• Summarize and/or Outline the material – focus on big themes & important information.
• Make Flashcards
• Create Associations – does a concept or word remind you of a song or person? Use that!
• Study Sheet – gather all of the important information from your material and condense it down to a single sheet of paper (use this as a ‘refresher’ prior to your exam).
• Study Groups & tutors – utilize the resources available to you at Laurus College. Contact email@example.com to connect with a Peer Mentor or to get involved with a study group.
For information, please contact the Laurus College Career Services Department at [phone-link location=””] or firstname.lastname@example.org
Get the Skills for the Rewarding Career You Want
Is a fulfilling career and a brighter future right for you? Get more info...