How Volunteering Can Help With Your Career
by the Career Services Department
Volunteering has an enormous impact on the communities we live in. We highly encourage our Laurus College students to get involved in their communities and make a difference. It gives students the opportunity to gain new experiences, give back, connect in the community, and feel a sense of accomplishment. The best part about volunteering are the career opportunities it creates. That’s right, volunteering is a great tool for your career! Below are some reasons why:
1. Volunteering is a great tool for career exploration- It allows students to experience what they may or may not like in a career field, while also helping them narrow down specific areas of interest within that field. For example, if you’re currently enrolled in the IT & Network Systems program, there are a lot of different career paths you can pursue once you graduate. Volunteering for a local organization that has its own technology systems such as a library or after-school youth center can give you the opportunity to apply your training in a variety of ways including computer repair, information systems maintenance and network security.
2. Volunteering is great for the community and Networking- Finding time to volunteer can seem impossible due to a busy school schedule and family commitments, but it’s all about planning ahead and making the time. It’s a great way to network with other professionals in your local community. Who knows, you may end up finding a great job opportunity while doing something meaningful with your time!
3. Have Fun, and bring a friend- Remember, organizations always need more volunteers. It’s highly unlikely you’ll be turned away. So have fun with it and bring a classmate along. Or better yet, make it a class project! Talk to your instructor and ask how you can help lead other Laurus Students in a volunteer project.
4. It’s GREAT for a resume- Volunteering with different organizations is a great addition to any resume. It demonstrates initiative, shows you’re a well-rounded individual, and exhibits leadership. Use this as an opportunity to stand out among other applicants and get noticed!
5. It’s good for you-There have been several studies conducted over the years that prove volunteering can help reduce stress, improve overall physical health and quality of life! It’s a win-win!
So, what’s next? Where do I go? What should I do? Finding opportunities is easier that you think, here are a few sites to help you get started:
If you still have questions, you can always speak with the Career Services Department for some great ideas! They can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or [phone-link location=””].
Get the Skills for the Rewarding Career You Want
Is a fulfilling career and a brighter future right for you? Get more info...